In our modern Christian vernacular, the title Pharisee carries a markedly negative connotation, and rightfully so. In the days of Jesus, however, they were recognized as the most fastidiously observant religious leaders of the day. I suppose there exists some Pharisee in all of us, so it’s important to recognize their toxic attitudes and behaviors.

Fortunately for us, Jesus left little to the imagination about their hypocrisy (Matthew 23:1–33). We would do well to learn and apply the warnings that He gave to the Pharisees. In the next two posts, we are going to observe ten marks of Pharisees to which we should all take heed:

1.  Pharisees expect of others what they will not do themselves.

Jesus told us that “they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers” (Matthew 23:4).

Words have weight. And when we repeat them and say them loudly, they can have even more weight. But all our words put together are not nearly as weighty as our actions. Actions always speak louder than words. Emerson said that your actions speak so loudly, they drown out what you are saying.

When I expect of others what I will not do myself, I not only negate the validity of the expectation, but I invite the malice of the one on whom the burden has been laid. In the mind of the one on whom this onerous expectation has been placed, I am no different than a domineering prison guard.

2.  What Pharisees do actually practice is only to be noticed of others.

Our Lord told us that “all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments” (Matthew 23:5).

You typically won’t find Pharisees working behind the scenes or making an anonymous donation. Slaves to the approval and approbation of others, they proclaim their own goodness. On the football field of religious life, they are the after-tackle dancers and the after-touchdown prancers. “Look at me! Look at what I did!” Religion is their football field.

We do well to remember that our Father sees what we do in secret – and He has the authority to reward us for it openly.

3.  Pharisees are fond of positions, titles, and formal recognition.

They “love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi” (Matthew 23:6–7).

Thoughts of, “where I sit” and “what I’m called” rule them. Dangerously, and all too often, Christian leaders become enamored with what people say about them or what position they “have attained” in their church or denominational hierarchy. More than ever, we need to get away from the tired old mantra of, “Dr. Somebody did such and such great thing!” Perhaps we should all be a bit fonder of Jesus who did not seek position, title, or formal recognition—but rightfully possesses all three!

4.  By their counterproductive lifestyle and doctrine, Pharisees inhibit others from entering the Kingdom.

But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. (Matthew 23:13)

Avid in their proselytizing, the Pharisees succeeded in convincing others to embrace Judaism, often on the pretext of a coming kingdom. Sadly, the Pharisees themselves rejected God’s true prophets and even Jesus, thereby exempting them from any future hope at all. Sadly, their “converts” only learned the harsh strictures of a fruitless religion.

May our lives never be an inhibition for someone to come to Christ!

5.  Pharisees take advantage of the weak for personal gain while simultaneously making a show of religious superiority.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore, ye shall receive the greater damnation. (Matthew 23:14)

A Pharisee thinks, “Look at how godly I am! I can impress you with my religious jargon and the eloquence of my public prayer and ministry.” Meanwhile, through religious chicanery, he takes advantage of those who are most vulnerable.

Pure religion cares for widows and orphans. Toxic religion profits by exploiting them.

Interlude

Halfway through Jesus’ description of the first-century Pharisees, it’s a good moment to pause and ask the Lord to “search our hearts, to see if there be any wicked way in me.” We are called to be servant leaders, not to lead people who serve us, our agenda, and our platforms. Let’s beware the leaven of the pharisees. 

Stay tuned for Jesus’ final identifying characteristics of religious pharisees in our next post!