I’ve been involved in Christian higher education since 1995. I graduated from a Christian high school, and have five college / seminary degrees from Christian institutions. I was raised in a pastor’s home. My grandfather was a pastor – many of my uncles were as well. I think you can tell – I believe in Christian education and ministry!

Within the last three years, after passing my first twenty-five years in ministry, I decided to embark on creating a life’s motto for some strange reason. It went through several iterations, but was eventually fine-tuned into just three simple words. I look at these three words every single day. When I’m contemplating a decision that involves Veritas Baptist College, these words help inform that decision. When I’m contemplating a personal or family decision, these same words guide those choices as well. Here are three words to live by:

Veritas

Ironically (perhaps providentially!), this word was chosen before I joined the team at Veritas. This word is the Latin equivalent for truth. When navigating through life’s challenges, difficulties, and temptations – I strive to be honest with myself and with others. As we all know, this isn’t the general description of the world’s philosophy. It requires a Spirit-filled life to go upstream against today’s currents. But the reward is worth the effort.

Integritas

Closely related to the first is the word for integrity. The word implies wholeness, genuineness, authenticity. It reminds me that the “platform” Mike and the “personal” Mike need to match. It reminds me that there are no shortcuts to success (however that word is defined). We’ve all watched the story play out of “How art the mighty fallen…” Their platform self and their real self did not match. In other words, integrity was missing. Make decisions based on what’s right, not on just what’s convenient.

Humilitas

Pride is the enemy of spiritual decision-making. Pride only looks out for the person making the decision (“What will make me look the best?”) I see this often in the life of King Saul. On one occasion, Samuel tells him that the kingdom is being taken from Saul. When Saul sees that there is no way to win Samuel’s favor, he then says – paraphrased: “OK, Samuel. If you’re not going to promise me the kingdom, then at least eat with me in front of the people so it will look like all is well…” 

Saul was concerned with appearances rather than the heart. I don’t remember who first said, “You can get a lot accomplished if you don’t care who gets the credit…” – but the sentiment behind the statement rings true. Whatever is accomplished in my life, my family, my ministry, or Veritas Baptist College – the credit, glory, and honor can only go to One. A mentor of mine years ago taught me that humility is when we play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back… Wise counsel!

CONCLUSION

I’m not advocating for everyone to create a personal motto to live by. These three words encapsulate for me the desire to live and think biblically so that God is glorified. 

I’m excited about the future here at Veritas Baptist College. I’m thankful for each student, faculty, staff, and friend who prays for and supports the vision here. As we prepare for the Summer semester, we are trusting God to help us train ministry leaders differently so that they can go and make a difference. Join us for classes this Summer!